165 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106. Phone: (860) 713-2500. Ask for seasonal pick-your-own guides, list of Farmers Markets Statewide, the Connecticut Farm Map and much more.
Department of Environmental Protection, Fisheries, Division
79 Elm St., Hartford, CT 06106. Phone: (860) 424-3474. Ask for CT's Angler's Guide. Liscenses and Permits.
Parks & Forests, Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection
79 Elm St., Hartford, CT 06106. Phone: (860) 424-3200. Ask for camping, state park and forest information.
Bridgeport is located in Fairfield County on the Pequonnock River and Long Island Sound and has 1,300 acres of public land for parks and 13 officially delineated neighborhoods across 16 square miles of land. Bridgeport offers a wealth of attractions: majestic shoreline parks, fascinating museums, regional baseball, hockey, festivals, national musical acts and performances.
In colonial days, Bridgeport was a center of trade, shipbuilding, and whaling. In the mid-19th century, the village rapidly industrialized, attracting immigrants to the growing number of factory jobs. Industry stayed strong until after World War II. In the 21st century, conversion of office buildings to residential, and other redevelopment is attracting new residents.
The circus-promoter and former mayor, P.T. Barnum, was a famous resident of this city. Barnum built three houses in Bridgeport and housed his circus in town during winters; today visitors can tour a museum dedicated to this famous showman. The Nationally accredited Beardsley Zoo, the state's only Zoo, Captain's Cove and the Webster Bank Arena are some of Bridgeport's top attractions.
Located in lower Fairfield County on Long Island Sound, Darien, which incorporated in 1820, was originally the Middlesex Parish area of Stamford. Coastal trading and agriculture supported the early community; its location on the post (or postal) road, established in the late 1600s between New York and Boston, also enlivened the local economy. In time, new routes carried people and commerce to, and through, Darien: the New York & New Haven railroad line in 1848 and the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) in 1958. As the affluent increasingly called Darien home, either for the summer or year round, the rural town became part of the state's "Gold Coast," an area distinguished by its residents' wealth.
This Fairfield County town is located near the New York border and close to the Long Island Sound. First settled in 1757, it was not until 1845 that Easton separated from neighboring Weston to become its own community. Hilly areas along the Aspetuck River, which runs through Easton, made development difficult, and Easton remains a quiet residential town. Named a National Landmark in 1993, the Ida Tarbell House is located in town, as is the home of activist Helen Keller, who spent her final days in Easton.
In 1635, Puritans and Congregationalists from the Massachusetts Bay Colony sought to establish an ecclesiastical society subject to their own rules. The Massachusetts General Court gave them permission to settle in several areas around Hartford. In 1639, the Fundamental Orders, a set of legal and administrative orders, was adopted and established Connecticut as a self-ruled entity. Roger Ludlowe, one of the framers of the Fundamental Orders, purchased a large tract of land from the Pequonnock Indians, and the town of Fairfield was born. (Over time, the land divided into several other town including Bridgeport, Redding, Weston, Easton, and Westport.) http://www.fairfieldct.org/content/10724/12146/default.aspx
The largest town on Connecticut's Gold Coast, it is home to many hedge funds and other financial service companies. Greenwich is the southernmost and westernmost municipality in Connecticut as well as the six-state region of New England. It is 38+ minutes by train (express) from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. CNN/Money and Money magazine ranked Greenwich first on its list of the "100 Best Places to Live in the United States" in 2005. The town is named after Greenwich, a borough of London in the United Kingdom.
The town of Monroe is located in the eastern region of Fairfield County in southern Connecticut. Originally part of Stratford, it was included in the "White Hills Purchase" that transferred the land from the Paugusset Indians to the township of Stratford. The General Assembly granted incorporation in 1823 and named it for then-president James Monroe. Agriculture made up much of Monroe's early industry until the 19th century when the town became a transportation hub for travelers going to Danbury, Bridgeport, and New York. Today, Monroe is considered a bedroom community of New York City and Stamford and is made up of several neighborhoods including Monroe Center, East Village, and Upper Stepney.
CT New Canaan
The town of New Canaan is located in Fairfield County on the Fivemile River and borders New York State. In 1731, Connecticut's General Assembly established Canaan Parish in northwestern Norwalk and northeastern Stamford, and in 1801 the town was incorporated. Primarily an agricultural community until the Revolutionary War, New Canaan shifted to shoe making as its major industry in the 19th century. By the late 1800s wealthy New York City residents built summer homes in the area, and many of them stayed year-round. In the 1940s New Canaan became an important center of modern architectural design when the "Harvard Five" built over 80 homes. Today, New Canaan remains a wealthy rural enclave and is still known for its modernist homes of which The Philip Johnson Glass House takes center stage.